Anyone with an international university degree/higher education qualification is generally permitted to study in Germany. However, the recognition of the qualification is linked to certain requirements.

Anyone wanting to study at a university in Germany needs a so-called "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (HZB), or higher education entrance qualification. This lets applicants show that their educational background or professional qualification allows them to study in Germany, i.e. they have the necessary higher education entrance qualification to register for a course. An international higher education entrance qualification lets you study at a German university, provided that the international certificate of education is recognised as higher education entrance qualification in Germany.

Check the Requirements

It is important to make sure that you are aware of the recognition requirements. If the certificate of education is recognised as a higher education entrance qualification in Germany, this recognition may apply for all courses (general qualification) or for certain courses (subject-specific qualification). Two to three semesters of study in the home country may be recognised as a higher education entrance qualification in Germany, depending on the country of origin.

In our database you can find information on admission requirements for selected countries. Please select your country of origin, if applicable your certificate and answer some additional country-specific questions in the following few steps. The result will let you know what kind of possibilities you can generally expect for admission in Germany.

Assessment test as part of a preparatory course

If your international higher education entrance qualification does not directly qualify you for admission to study in Germany, you can participate in a preparatory course at a German university. This is where you, together with other international students, develop the technical and cultural requirements to successfully study in Germany. The preparatory courses offer different core subject areas, such as medicine, technology or economics. They generally end with the assessment test after one year. After successfully completing the assessment, graduates are permitted to study the subjects that correspond to the subject areas in the preparatory course anywhere in Germany. The “Studienkolleg” (preparatory course) websites for the German universities provide all the information you need.

German language skills

The language of instruction at German universities is German in most courses. So you will need an adequate knowledge of German and must be able to demonstrate this knowledge in order to participate in the course. This does not generally apply for students in international courses or certain post-graduate courses. Anyone only wanting to study in Germany for one or two semesters may also not be required to provide evidence of their knowledge of German. A good idea is to check with the relevant university's International Office. You can find more information here.